Sukanya’s Chicken Tikkas
Sukanya’s Chicken Tikka
(double or triple recipe as needed, all portions of ingredients are approximate. Adjust to your own tastes)
- 2 lbs skinless/boneless chicken (breasts or thighs) cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 cup fresh whole yoghurt
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsps chopped ginger
- 4 or 5 cloves of garlic peeled and smashed
- 3-4 tbsps garam masala
- 1 tps Kasoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaf) optional
- 1 tps ajwain (carom) seeds (crushed in mortar or added to masala in blender for few seconds) optional
- pich of cayenne powder for zing
- 6 peppercorns/ 2 dry red chillies or jalapeños
- 1 large red (bermuda) onion cut into very thin rings and soaked in a bowl of cold water.
- 2 Lemons
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala (available at most Indian groceries)
- Salt to taste
- Marinate chicken in juice of one lemon, some salt and the garam masala.
- While chicken is marinating place cilantro (minus some for the garnish), ginger, garlic, peppercorns, chillies and about two spoonfuls of the yogurt into the jar of a blender or cuisinart and grind to a smooth paste. Place mixture in a large bowl.
- Add remaining yogurt, kasoori methi and ajwain. Add the chicken and marinate for at least half an hour.
- Heat your grill (charcoal is best), or broiler. Thread chicken pieces onto skewers. Place on the grill and cook until lightly browned and tender. The breasts will cook sooner than the thighs. Remove chicken from the skewers and place on a platter. Sprinkle chaat masala. Squeeze the water from the onions and scatter over the tikkas, along with remaining cilantro and lemon sliced into wedges. Serve with naan or pita bread and a cucumber raita.